Here the point arises that, is it even possible to set Google maps as default on iPhone? So, the answer is yes, but in some exceptional ways. You should know exactly how to do it because the settings do not appear as direct.
First of all, for using Google Maps as your default map viewer you need to install Google Chrome and Gmail.
By setting Google Chrome as your default browser
Let’s talk about chrome first. Once the app is installed follow these steps to make it a default app.
- Go to your settings.
- Open the lists of installed apps and scroll down till chrome and tap.
- On the screen, you will see the Default Browser App. Tap on it.
- From the list choose Chrome to make it your default browser.
And you’re done. Now every time when you open a map link from this browser, it will ask you to choose your preferred app for opening the map. Make sure you choose Google Maps. Or else, in the first attempt, disable the button asking for ‘Ask me every time which app to use’ to avoid prompting.
By configuring Gmail
Step 1 – Set as default mail app
- Go to your settings
- In the app list search or scroll down to gmail and tap on it.
- Go to the Default Mail App.
- Select gmail from the appeared list.
Step 2 – Configure Gmail
- Now open gmail.
- Go to the menu appearing on the left top corner.
- Tap on settings from the opened list of options.
- You will see a Default App option in the list, tap on that option.
- From the list of options, under ‘Navigate from your location’ and ‘Navigate between location’ select Google Maps.
And you are done. Now make sure you select Google Maps whenever you are asked to choose one app for opening the appeared link of map. Or to avoid the pop up, disable the switch ‘Ask me every time which app to use’ in the bottom.
After four years of launch, has finally given the option of switching the navigation app in CarPlay. So, now you can finally replace Apple maps with Google maps in your CarPlay in a few simple steps. All you need to do is – Apple
- Make sure you are using iOS 12 in your phone and google maps with 5.0 or higher version. iPhone
- Now go the settings in your iPhone
- Tap on General.
- Go to CarPlay
- Choose your Vehicle.
- Now slide the screen to go to the Google maps. Hold it and bring on the home screen.
And from now, Google Maps will appear as your navigation app in your CarPlay.
So, these were a few hacks by which you can temporarily replace Maps with Google Maps as your default app in iPhone. However, no solid feature of switching the apps is featured in iOS till now. But we are hoping that, in the near future, Apple will surely give access to the Apple users for choosing the Map viewer of their preference in iPhone. iPhone