Table of Content
- What causes maggots?
- How to get rid of maggots in carpet?
- How to get rid of maggots on patio?
- How to get rid of maggots on kitchen floor?
- How to get rid of maggots in wheelie bin?
- How to get rid of maggots in cats?
- How to get rid of Maggots in your Car?
Maggots are basically the larvae of flies such as cheese flies, common houseflies, etc. These maggots look like worms because they have soft bodies. These larvae hold quite a lot of importance in the fields of medicine and ecology. Maggots are quite useful in killing bacteria but these can also pose a threat to your pets and cattle, especially during summers when maggot infestation is on a high.
Maggot infestations can be a pesky little nuisance that no one really desires in their home. Don’t worry! The most crucial step to getting rid of an infestation is identifying you have one… and guessing by the fact that you’re here, you’re good to go. With this guide, you’ll be repelling those blood suckers in no time.
What causes maggots?
Maggots are the fly larvae or small worms which appear on dirty surfaces such as a messy kitchen floor, dusty dampen carpets, filthy garbage bins, and ungroomed cats leading to Myiasis in them. Basically, all the dirtiness and uncleanliness invites these worms to feed on the untidy and filthy things. The things which get decayed and smell foul attract the larvae of flies which automatically become the breeding ground for maggots.
How to get rid of maggots in carpet?
- Carpets are a tedious affair, and we’re assuming you don’t want to undergo the trouble of removing it to get any cleaning done. In such a scenario, you can use a glass of beer near the carpet to attract and drown the insects living in the carpet.
- Another trick to remove these maggots could be the use of boric acid and vacuum cleaner. Just sprinkle some boric acid onto the maggot infected carpet and spread it using a broom so that it reaches till the very ends of the carpet. Then using a vacuum cleaner you can remove the dead maggots from the carpet.
How to get rid of maggots on patio?
- Maggots can occur on your paved courtyard even after you clean it daily. One thing that can be done to keep your patio maggot free is, treat your maggot infected patio with Permethrin. This will kill any kind of flies, bugs and maggots.
- Sprinkling Permethrin on the infected area and then washing the patio properly with water will keep maggots away.
- At least one gallon of this odorless chemical should be used on the patio per 250 sq. ft.
- If your patio is quite large, then you can use Cyonara RTS which is very cost effective chemical sprayed on bigger lawns. Cyonara RTS works well on cemented patios too.
How to get rid of maggots on kitchen floor?
Maggots are usually found in kitchens or open dining spaces where there’s uncovered food. This food attracts flies which lay their eggs there which consequently hatch into larvae. Assuming you have a tiled kitchen and various nooks and crannies to attend to, here are some remedies that should be helpful:
Heated Dog Shampoo : You’d have never thought your precious pet’s hair product would be on this list, did you? But the fact is that hot dog shampoo is an excellent pest killer and is an easily available option.
Bleach : Add a cup of bleach and 1.5 cups of hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of boiling water and bid adieu to maggots in no time.
Mixture of Water and Vinegar : Use this afterwards to maintain the pest-less integrity of your kitchen. It should keep them away for good.
Insecticides: Get a maggot killing spray or chemical and put it on the maggot infected area. To make your kitchen maggot free, you should also throw any infected food material by sealing it properly in a plastic bag.
How to get rid of maggots in wheelie bin?
Bins can be a breeding spot for these insects if left unchecked. However, they’re relatively easier to clean as well.
Use either of the following chemicals and pour these in the bin and shut its lid. Let them do their job for an hour or so and then proceed to clean the bin of their corpses.
- A solution of hot water and carburetor cleaner
- Baking soda
- Boiling water
- A solution of salt, vinegar and lime
- Spray diatomaceous earth organic solution
How to get rid of maggots in cats?
Infestation in animals or in this case, cats is medically termed as ‘Myiasis’. Stray dogs or cats are quite weak. Their dilapidated condition makes their immunity level quite low and thus maggots develop in their fur or skin. Maggots also feed on the wounds and skin infections of cats and other animals. Myiasis is usually caused when a female fly lays her eggs on the open wounded or infected skin of the cat or a kitten.
By following the given steps you can protect your cat from any further infections:
- Pour approximately 3 quarters of Hydrogen Peroxide in a big container.
- Dip the pipette (a laboratory instrument for measuring liquid) into the Peroxide solution and fill the pipette with that solution.
- Release the Hydrogen Peroxide solution onto the maggot infected area of your kitten or cat or any other pet animal that you have.
- Within 2 or 3 seconds, the maggots in that area will die and to kill all of them you need to fill the pipette again and pour the Peroxide solution onto the infected areas.
- Once all the maggots are dead, you can brush their fur off the dead maggots and fly eggs.
- After that, clean your cat’s skin with an antibacterial soap and warm water.
- In case, you removed maggots from your cat’s wounds, then you need to take your pet to a veterinary doctor.
How to get rid of Maggots in your Car
There are many areas in your car where there is huge possibility of having Maggots. Like Maggots can be in the carpets of car, in seats of car or in trunk of car. If not washed or cleaned properly for a long time, then these areas of your car can be the house of large number of Maggots which can cause infection. So care should be taken by following the below steps to get rid of Maggots in your Car:
- The best way to kill Maggots in your car is to spread boric acid on Carpets, seats and trunk of car.
- Spread the boric acid deeply into the fibers of the carpets in car. You can use a brush or broom to spread it.
- Vacuum these area and immediately dispose of the vacuum bag in an outside trash container. If you still see Maggots there, then repeat this process until all the Maggots are killed.
- Steam clean the carpets in the front seat and trunk of your car to destroy and eliminate any remaining Maggots larvae.
In addtion to following above steps, there are some other ways to get rid of Maggots in your car.
- Borax is very effective for killing Maggots and other worms. So use dishwashing soap which contains little borax to get rid of Maggots in the trunk of car, seats of car and other parts.
- Pour boiling water over the Maggots to kill them instantly. A mixture of one cup of bleach can be prepared with approximately four liters of boiling water, and one and a half cups of hydrogen peroxide.
- Sometimes food is dropped while eating in the car. Dispose of all open food from your car to prevent flies from laying eggs there.