What is a Registration Certificate(RC)
RC which stands for Registration Certificate is a document related to your vehicle that declares that your vehicle either two-wheeler, four-wheeler, or more is registered with the Regional Transport Office i.e RTO. Whenever you purchase a new vehicle from any authorized dealer, then it is a must for you to register or make an entry of the vehicle into the Regional Transport Office.
After applying the Registration Certificate for the vehicle, you will get an original copy of it within 15-20 days. Along with other documents like a Driving License, Pollution Certificate, Insurance, RC is another must document that you always have to carry it while moving or traveling on your vehicle.
Registration Certificate is an important document for Vehicle owners. As this is an important document therefore it is necessary to keep it safe. But due to human negligence many times it happens that your Registration Certificate is lost or stolen.
If your vehicle’s RC is stolen, lost, or damaged, then in this case there is no need to fear up because now it is very easy to apply and get issued a duplicate copy of your vehicle’s RC.
You can apply a duplicate copy of RC either online or offline.
Reasons for applying Duplicate RC
There are main reasons that may need someone to apply for a duplicate or new RC
- If the original RC in Los
- If the original RC is stolen and there is the risk of its misuse.
- If the original RC is completely damaged and the details in it are not clearly visible.
To get a duplicate copy of the Registration Certificate(RC) of the vehicle, the applicant has to fill in the required application form and submit it online or offline in the concerned department.
Documents required for applying Duplicate RC Copy
You may require the following documents for applying a Duplicate RC Copy
- Copy of FIR of the lost RC from the Police Station
Or Lost Document Report which can be obtained online from any cyber cafe.
- Copy of your Driving License.
- Insurance Policy of your vehicle.
- Passport size photograph of the vehicle owner.
- The Application Form and a letter mention that your RC is lost and you want to get a new RC
- Address proof like Ration Card, Voter Card, Aadhar Card
- Invoice of the vehicle for which RC is lost.
How to apply a Duplicate RC
There are basically two ways to apply for a duplicate RC
- Applying Duplicate RC Offline
- Applying Duplicate RC Online
Applying Duplicate RC Offline
The first way to apply a duplicate RC for your vehicle is offline and follow the below steps for it.
- First, you do not report for the loss of RC at the nearest police station and then obtain an FIR copy.
- Now you have to visit the RTO of your district and then request Form 26
- You will have to enter all the required information in this Form including complete details about your vehicle.
- You also have to attach Address proof and any identity proof along with Form 26.
- Then you will have to attach one passport size.
- In the next step, you have to pay some nominal fees for applying duplicate RC.
- Now you will have to submit the form to the Registration Authority.
- After verification, the process of issuing duplicate RC will be started and you will get a new RC very soon.
Applying Duplicate RC Online
The process of applying a duplicate RC online is very easy, you just have to follow the below steps
- Visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- You can go to the official website through this link: Applying Duplicate RC Online https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan
- After opening the above link, you have to scroll a little down.
- Here you will see the ‘Vehicle Registration’ button under the ‘Vehicle Related Services’
- Now you will see a field to enter your vehicle’s Registration number.
- After entering the Vehicle Registration number, you will have to click on Proceed button.
- Then you will see two options under ‘Online Service’
- From there, you have to choose the second option.
- Enter the Last Five digits of your vehicle’s chassis number.
- After that, you will have to enter the RC number.
- When you enter the RC number, you will receive a code and then you have to click on show details.
- Now a new page opens up where you have to choose the ‘Duplicate RC Book’ option.
- A new window will be opened where you have to mention the reason in detail for applying a duplicate RC.
- Next, a form will open where you have entered the FIR number, FIR Date, and the name of the police station in which the FIR is reported.
- Then you will have to make the payment for applying Duplicate RC.
- Once you are done with making payment, you will see few forms.
- You need to download these forms and have to deposit them to the RTO Office.
- The duplicate RC will arrive at your mentioned address within one week of applying it.